Monday, May 22, 2017

Twin Smash Cakes

This time last year, my friend Lyndsie introduced me to MOPS: Mothers of Pre-Schoolers. Designed to be a group for mothers with kids under the age of 5, it was just what I was looking for as I started navigating the uncharted waters of mommyhood. It was a great way to meet other moms and connect with like-minded ladies!

There at MOPS, I met Elizabeth. She is high-energy, always smiling, and - I was to later discover - has a pair of sweet little twins. As they were approaching their first birthday, Elizabeth asked if I would make some smash cakes for the little prince and princess.

These are similar to the lower tier of the Embrace Grace cake, but with an ombre effect on the roses. Of course, one is blue and the other is pink!
I wish I had gone lighter with that lightest shade of pink. I still feel like there's too little difference between the pink shades. Hey, it still looks great though! 
I'm not sure why the lightest blue shade seems to have a green tint to it, but I'm still pretty pleased with this cake.
Both cakes had small pearl nonpareils in each of the roses. After making the Embrace Grace cake, I realized that it's much easier to position these nonpareils using a narrow pair of tweezer-like pliers. I've got a pair specifically for this purpose now, and it was SO much easier. 
Here are the birthday prince and princess, about to smash into their cakes! With a 6" diameter, these were a little on the large size for a smash cake, but they needed to fit with a large candle (which they'd already removed by the time this pic was taken). I think a typical smash cake would be about a 4" diameter.

So Elizabeth's amazing royal birthday party seemed to be a big hit! I'm glad I got to contribute to their special day, and with a fun mom like Elizabeth, I'm sure they're in for many more fun-filled adventures in the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment