Sunday, May 14, 2017

Embrace Grace Cookies and Cake

Yesterday, I had the unique opportunity to help throw a special baby shower. Embrace Grace is an organization that reaches out and supports young single pregnant girls, and I've been a part of leading the Embrace Grace group at my friend's church for the past few months. Women from all over pitched in to meet the material needs for these girls and we had the best time showering them with gifts at the baby shower!
I knew I wanted to make some cookies for the shower, and I decided to use the opportunity to try out a few new techniques! I've been seeing some tutorials using spray color to add detail, and I knew some cute little blue stripes would look adorable on the baby onesies.
I bought these striped and polka-dot stencils at Hobby Lobby the other day, and I'm excited about how well they worked. I'm telling ya, you can learn anything through YouTube tutorials.


I was also interested in trying to re-create the Embrace Grace logo in cookie form. I'm super-pleased with how these turned out!
I've done several different styles of monograms so far, but the challenge with these was getting the gold color just right. I wanted the gold to shimmer just a bit, so I added some bronze luster dust to the icing.

I had planned to do the cookies from the beginning, but when someone mentioned cake, I jumped at the chance to practice some cake decorating too!
This two-tiered devil's food chocolate cake is covered in homemade buttercream frosting, with candy pearls for accents. The flower on top is made from melted white chocolate and was a seriously tricky thing to do (looking forward to trying this method again and working out some of the issues).
So... I make cakes now! I love cookies, but this was definitely a fun and exciting challenge, and cakes open up a whole new world of decorating techniques. Stay tuned for some upcoming cake shapes and styles!

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

No comments:

Post a Comment