Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Eagle Scout Cookies

I've had the pleasure to teach hundreds of teenagers over the past seven years. It was a delight to get to know my kiddos and figure out their unique personalities. Some were silly, some were serious, some were sweet - but in some students, you could see a deeper maturity growing, a desire for responsibility and a recognition of their potential impact on the world. That's one of the reasons I love the middle school years: they're right in the middle of childhood and young adulthood.

A group of my boys were involved in the Boy Scout troop that was based on our campus. These young men were marked by a higher level of personal responsibility, a willingness to try new things, and a healthy respect for authority. While I only taught them in seventh and eighth grade, our school is a K-12 academy, so I had the opportunity to watch them continue growing and succeeding in high school as well. I was therefore delighted when asked to make some cookies to celebrate four of my guys achieving the honorable rank of Eagle Scout!

Apart from eagle-shaped cookies, I had no idea what the logo for Boy Scouts looked like or what colors I needed to use. Pinterest and Google quickly helped sort that out.


I think the fleur-de-lis cookies are the most detailed cookies I've done so far - I was quite nervous about them at first, but they really came out better than I was expecting! These cookies were to be favors for the Eagle Scout reception, so I offered to individually bag them.

I really enjoyed making these. I'm glad I got to practice making the red stars on the fleur-de-lis cookies, and I love how the blue eye of the eagle ties in with the blue on the other cookies. Congratulations, Eagle Scouts! I'm so proud of all your hard work and dedication!

For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. Psalm 84:11

No comments:

Post a Comment